· On average, children lose nearly three months of grade-level equivalency during the summer months each year
· This loss can be prevented by reading over the summer
Books for Students
In order to encourage students to read over the summer, Lexington Four is pleased to be sending books home with all 1-4 grade students. Students will receive books from May 21-22, 2014 for summer reading. These books are free to the students and are theirs to keep. Students will be allowed to select their books from a wide range of titles.
What Parents Can Do:
1. Encourage your child to read each day for 20 minutes. 20 minutes a day all summer long will not just prevent summer loss, but may increase students’ learning!
2. Create a space for reading free of distractions and inviting.
3. Talk with your child about what he or she is reading. Ask questions to deepen their comprehension.
4. Make reading a part of your family life: visit the library, read together, talk about books!
For More Information
· 10 Facts About Summer Loss
· Book Giveaways Reduce Loss
· Keep Them Reading This Summer